This article is about an upcoming Tamagotchi release, and therefore information is subject to change prior to release.
- As The Walt Disney Company owns the Star Wars IP through its ownership of Lucasfilm, this marks the fifth collaboration between Tamagotchi and Disney, preceded by the Twistetchi, Pocket Usapiyo, Pocket Usatama, and the Mickey Mouse-themed Tama Deco Pierce for the Tamagotchi P's.
- It is also the second licensed Tamagotchi to be themed after western intellectual property, after the Twistetchi, and third overall to be themed after non-Japanese intellectual property, after the Jordy Tamagotchi. Unlike the Twistetchi, the R2-D2 Tamagotchi is planned for both a western and a Japanese release as opposed to being Japan-exclusive.
- The R2-D2 Tamagotchi was announced on May 4th, "Star Wars Day", an informal commemorative day dedicated to Star Wars most commonly celebrated by paraphrasing the iconic line "May the force be with you" as "May the 4th be with you."
- The R2-D2 Tamagotchi is the first licensed Nano model to feature a translucent shell.
- Leading up to the full reveal, Bandai posted several teaser graphics of various animations from the device. There were originally planned to be ten teasers, but this was later changed to eight.
|Licensed Tamagotchi Releases|
|Tamagotchi||Mothra Tamagotchi • Genjintch Tamagotchi • TamaOtch • Doraemontchi|
|Tamagotchi Plus||Hanerutchi • Hanerutchi 2 • Oden-Kun Tamagotchi|
|Tamagotchi Nano||Pocket Usatama • Gudetama Tamagotchi • Eevee x Tamagotchi • Pocket Usapiyo • Pac-Man Tamagotchi • Evatchi • Demon Slayer Tamagotchi • Hello Kitty Tamagotchi • Jordy Tamagotchi • Extellatchi • Twistetchi • R2-D2 Tamagotchi • BT21 Tamagotchi • PUI PUI Molcartchi • Kamen Ridertchi|