Sanrio is a Japanese company that designs and licenses toys and merchandise. It specializes in focusing the kawaii (cute) culture of the Japan. Sanrio is most known for iconic mascots and franchises, including but not limiting to Hello Kitty, My Melody, Cinnamoroll, Sugar Bunnies, and Jewelpet.
Involvement with Tamagotchi
Tamagotchi and Sanrio have had several crossover collaborations:
Keitai Kaitsuu Tamagotchi Plus
On early production models of the Keitai Kaitsuu Tamagotchi Plus, a plush of Hello Kitty was available via a special code. The item was removed on later models, and is not available on the Keitai Kaitsuu! Tamagotchi Plus Akai or Hanerutchi 1.
- Hello Kitty for Mametchi
- Cinnamoroll for Yumemitchi
- My Melody for Kiraritchi
- Pompompurin for Kuchipatchi
- Usahana for Memetchi
- Kuromi for Spacytchi
- Keroppi for Nandetchi
- Badtz-Maru for Righttchi
- Kiki for Pekopekotchi
- Lala for Julietchi
There was also a Sanrio Tamagotchi m!x spot that was available from March 2018. It looked like a standard Sanrio m!x, except the main shell was black instead of pink. The m!x spot allowed users to talk to Tuxedo Sam, Hangyodon, Pochacco, KeroKero Keroppi, and Monkichi. There were also two exclusive wallpapers, a snack, and a Pochacco bag accessorry.
The Gudetama Tamagotchi is a Tamagotchi Nano variant themed after Gudetama. It was released in Japan in late 2017 and internationally in late 2018, making it the first collaboration to be available outside Japan.
Like its predecessor, Tamagotchi Meets also has a Sanrio-themed variant that released in Japan in June 2019, which features Kuromi, Badtz-Maru, Keroppi, and Tuxedo Sam in addition to the 7 characters in its M!X counterpart. This variant of Tamagotchi Meets does not currently have a planned international release.
In the Japanese Tamagotchi Meets app, there was a Sanrio event in 2019. Hello Kitty was a guest from the 31st of May to the 4th of July, and My Melody was a guest from the 5th of July to the 5th of August. Limited Sanrio-themed items were also available in the app around this time.
Hello Kitty Tamagotchi
The Hello Kitty Tamagotchi is a Tamagotchi Nano variant that features raising Tamagotchi characters along with help from Hello Kitty. It released in December 2020 in the United States and Australia, and is set to be released in Europe at an unspecified date.
Merchandise and Marketing
- Sanrio made a set of small plush toys of Mametchi, Memetchi, and Kuchipatchi in the late 2000s.
- In Collection 2 of the Narikiri Hello Kitty gashapon capsules, where Hello Kitty dressed up as popular icons, there were two charms where she dressed as Tamagotchi characters (Mametchi and Memetchi). A plastic mask of Hello Kitty in the Mametchi hood was also produced.
- Sanrio x Tamagotchi lanyards were made to go along with the Sanrio m!x and Meets releases.
- Mini containers of candy based on the Sanrio m!x were made, coming in 8 different designs themed around different characters. They had lenticular images on the front, with some of them showing black-pixel sprites of the Sanrio characters' faces.
- In 2020, some of the official Sanrio character Twitter accounts posted images of themselves with a Tamagotchi character and child to help promote the deluxe Sanrio Meets, such as PomPom Purin posting a picture of himself with Lovelitchi and their child.