This article is about an upcoming Tamagotchi release, and therefore information is subject to change prior to release.
|← Evatchi||Tamagotchi Pix||TBA|
|This article is about an English Tamagotchi release.|
Tamagotchi Pix is an upcoming color-screen virtual pet set to be released in mid-2021. It is the first color-screen English Tamagotchi to not be directly based on a prior Japanese release.
The Tamagotchi Pix is roughly the same size and shape as the Tamagotchi On. The top area of the shell is cracked, giving the appearance of a cracked-open egg similar to the removable cap on a Tamagotchi Osutchi and Mesutchi device. Instead of the standard rubber or plastic buttons, there are three touch buttons. While they function the same as the standard buttons, they have additional swiping functionality. The front of the shell has printed graphics, with round dots over the touch keys. The top half is a solid color, with the word "Tamagotchi" printed on it, which can be pushed down to take a picture. The back of it features the camera lens. The loop to insert a lanyard is on the left side.
On initial setup of the date, time, and user's name and birthday, the Pix will also prompt the user to select a language, with English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese all built-in.
Close Ups return, and when the Tamagotchi comes up close, the user can rub their finger over the three touch buttons to pet the Tamagotchi. Doing so will make the Tamagotchi happy, and even sing.
In addition to the standard meals, snacks, and purchasable foods, the user will also be able to "cook" food for the Tamagotchi by taking photographs of real food.
Throughout the day, the Tamagotchi will leave poo on the screen for the user to clean up. Selecting this icon just before it poos will trigger the Tamagotchi to use the toilet instead. Additionally, the bathroom gives the options of bathing the Tamagotchi and cleaning the house.
The Pix features a total of 17 games. Playing games will earn Gotchi Points, which can be used to purchase items and furniture, or increase the character's happiness. Games are divided into three distinct categories:
- Standard Games: Two games, "Hula Hoop" and "Matching", are available under the "Play" icon, and are always available.
- Arcade Games: Six different games are available at the Arcade. Only two games will be available at any given time.
- Training Games: Nine games are dedicated to training the user's Tamagotchi for their potential future career.
By pressing down on the top of the unit, the user can take photographs of what is currently on the screen. When a photo can be taken, a camera icon will appear at the bottom left corner of the screen. The user can take photos of the Tamagotchi's daily activities, as well as activating the camera and taking photos with the camera lens. The Pix can store up to 100 photos before requiring photos to be deleted. Viewing the photo in the album will also give the option of decorating the photos. Photos cannot be transferred between devices or shared online.
Using the camera also allows the Tamagotchi to "explore the world" and meet a total of 100 characters.
The interior of the Tamagotchi's living space can be decorated with different items, and the colors can be customized. After selecting a color, the user can swipe their finger over the touch buttons to repaint the item.
As the Pix lacks an infrared port, connectivity with other devices is instead initiated through codes sent between two units, scheduling a date and time for the two pets to interact. Once the playdate is set, the two characters will automatically interact, playing games, exchanging presents, or exploring.
Departure and Career
When the Tamagotchi has been in the adult stage for seven days, it will alert the user that it's ready to return to the Tamagotchi Planet. The user will be prompted to complete a photo album for the Tamagotchi to bring back with it, using three photos taken during the Tamagotchi's life.
Upon returning to the Planet, the Tamagotchi may gain a career based on which character was raised, how well it was cared for, and what training games were played. After looking through the photo album, the Tamagotchi will send an egg back for the user to raise, starting the cycle anew.
Confirmed characters (up to 24):
- Preliminary information about the device and its functions was leaked to a Tamagotchi Facebook group in September 2020. A patent for the Tamagotchi Pix was revealed to have been submitted to the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) in November 2020, with images from the patent leaking online in December 2020. Prototype images of the shells and packaging appeared on several European Amazon pages on January 22, 2021 before being removed in the days following.
- The first commercial was leaked on April 20, 2021, one day before the official reveal.
- The packaging design seen in the leaked concept art is similar to that of the Tamagotchi iD.
- The Tamagotchi Pix is the fifth mainline Tamagotchi release since the 2004 relaunch to lack an infrared port, following the Japanese Tamagotchi 4U and 4U+, and the American Tamagotchi Friends and Dream Town Digital Friend.
- The Tamagotchi Pix is the first for several things:
- The first color-screen virtual pet to not be released in Japan.
- The first Tamagotchi to have multiple languages built-in.
- The first color-screen Tamagotchi to not feature travel destinations.
- The first mainline Tamagotchi release since the 2004 relaunch to not feature marriage in any capacity, the next generation effectively starts when the egg is brought back after the Tamagotchi returns to Tamagotchi Planet.